/ /

1971 Series One Datsun 240Z

Make: Datsun
Model: Z-Series
Type: Coupe
Year: 1971
Mileage: 96,000
VIN: HLS30-13158
Color: Blue
Engine: L24
Cylinders: 6
Fuel: Gasoline
Drive type: RWD
Interior color: Black
Vehicle Title: Clear
Item location: Maryville, Tennessee, United States

1971 Datsun Z-Series Additional Info:

This is a numbers-matching Series One car that was almost lost. I saved this car in 2013, and then spent the next year and a half doing a complete, "rotisserie" restoration. She needed new floor pans, frame rails, wheel well, fenders, rear quarters, a passenger side rocker panel and a hood, but other structural parts of the frame were good. The replacement metal was all either factory original (the front fenders) or off donor cars, no aftermarket panels. Car is now wearing 903 Blue, with engine bay covered as well. The matching-number engine was pulled and completely rebuilt, top to bottom, with all new bearings and seals, the cylinders were honed and new pistons installed. The E88 cylinder head was totally overhauled as well. New starter, waterpump, upgraded 60 amp internally regulated alternator, Pertronix coil and ignition, SU carbs rebuilt by Ztherapy, new correct brake master cylinder, new clutch master and slave cylinders, rebuilt front and rear brakes, new wheel bearings front and rear. Rebuilt brake master vacuum. New clutch and throw out bearing. Rear end and differential upgraded and moved backwards to correct angularity issues of early 240Zs. Mostly new interior, (seat vinyl and foam, carpet, headliners, and shock tower vinyl) and cleaned and re-dyed transmission tunnel vinyl and interior panels, with all new foam and new sound-deadening. New firewall insulator. All new weatherstripping from Vintage Rubber. All new bushings in the steering and suspension. Dash was removed, all instruments removed, and cracks were repaired. All instruments now work, except clock which is sporadic. All interior lights and cigarette lighter work. Original working Hitachi Am radio with new power antenna that works off the original switch. New MSA exhaust system. Gas tank was cleaned and sealed with POR-15.I have the original steelies and D hubcaps, but only three of the hubcaps are restorable. I bought a set of five slot mags with new rubber from someone who was going to new wheels, and they look great. I saved all the old parts like the original differential mount and driveshaft, brake master cylinder, all hardware, and I have other parts like a full dash cover that I will include in the sale.
This was a fun project, and although I didn't go for a concourse-level restoration, except for the differential and alternator upgrades I tried to keep the car as original as possible. Like I mentioned above, I did keep all the hardware that I could if you want to have it replated and use it. There are a few things that could be improved upon, like a couple of fitment issues with the left fender and the hood, and the bumpers (which are used, but new to this car, as the original ones were not restorable) could use a rechroming. There is an intake mounting bolt that broke that should be replaced. I wish, in hindsight, that I had replated some of the hardware in the engine compartment. The windshield is original and has some "ghosting" around the edges. The hatch defroster does not work. The windshield wipers are slow. The fan gets noisy after a few minutes, but works. But the big things, like the rust repairs, the engine, the running gear, and the interior are in excellent condition now.
The car has about eight hundred miles on it since I got her back on the road, and I just replaced the break in oil with VR1 10W-30. She starts and runs very strong, and handles like she's on rails. The exhaust is louder than stock, but it sounds good. I'm ready for a new project.